As a member of the Helmholtz Association, Forschungszentrum Jülich makes an effective contribution to solving major challenges facing society in the fields of information, energy, and bioeconomy. It focuses on varied tasks in the area of research management and utilizes large, often unique, scientific infrastructure. Come and work with around 6,100 colleagues across a range of topics and disciplines at one of Europe’s largest research centres.
The Central Library (ZB) is responsible for supplying the employees of Forschungszentrum Jülich with a comprehensive and high-quality range of literature and information. It provides services in the fields of documentation, publication, information management, and information science.
We are looking to recruit a
- translating scientific and technical texts from German into English and from English into German pertaining to all fields of research at Forschungszentrum Jülich as well as popular science publications and administrative, financial, and legal documents
- revising scientific and technical texts written in English by non-native speakers
- reviewing translations and assuming responsibility for translation quality
- researching terminology; assistance in updating the Language Services‘ internal terminology database (SDL MultiTerm)
- providing linguistic assistance for employees at Jülich
- working closely in the translation team, including cross-checking colleagues‘ translations
- relevant university degree (Master’s in Translation Studies or equivalent)
- native language English
- perfect command of English; excellent knowledge of German, and familiarity with German culture and institutions (period of residence in a German-speaking country desirable)
- a third working language would be advantageous
- good knowledge of translation software (SDL Trados Studio) and excellent word processing skills (MS Office)
- familiarity with scientific and technical texts and ability to grasp concepts quickly
- ability to work effectively in a team and under pressure
- willingness to undertake continuing professional development
- exciting working environment on an attractive research campus with excellent infrastructure, located between the cities of Cologne, Düsseldorf, and Aachen
- international and interdisciplinary working atmosphere
- a challenging and stimulating position requiring a high degree of personal initiative
- a comprehensive further training programme
- flexible working hours and various opportunities to reconcile work and private life
- limited for 2 years
- opportunity to job share
- salary and social benefits in conformity with the provisions of the Collective Agreement for the Civil Service (TVöD). Depending on the applicant’s qualifications and the precise nature of the tasks, salary grade EG 13 TVöD-Bund
Forschungszentrum Jülich aims to employ more women in this area and therefore particularly welcomes applications from women.
We also welcome applications from disabled persons.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably via our online recruitment system on our career site by 23.06.2019 quoting the reference number 2019-186.